CARE CLOSER TO HOME 

Our vision for better and more sustainable healthcare rests on community based models that fit around people’s needs and what matters to the individual.  

Care closer to home means you will:

  • Know where to go to access health services

  • Access services in your local community and in your own home

  • Have health services that involve other organisations

  • Have our support to manage your own physical and mental health

  • You will be at the centre of services that support you

We met with our staff and our partners on 3rd March 2017 to talk through ideas about the design of the community services of the future. We will be sharing some of these early ideas across North Wales with partners, staff and community groups. We need to hear your views on the possible new service proposals to help us make them better.

The vast majority of the care provided by the NHS – over 90 per cent – is in the local community by GPs, dentists, pharmacists and others. The remaining 10 per cent of care is provided in hospitals. This means that needs of most patients can be met by our services in their community. Examples include district and community nurses who visit people at home to provide care like maintaining dressings, health visitors who support parents with new born babies, pain management and end of life care. 

For people who need hospital care, we understand that most patients want to spend as little time in hospital as possible.  Care close to home is important to people. Treating patients in the familiar surroundings of their homes or nearby in their local community has a positive impact on their health and wellbeing, especially for those with conditions such as dementia.We are focused on developing our community services to ensure that patients have the care and support they need as close to home as possible.

Our vision for better and more sustainable health care rests on community-based models that fit around people’s needs and what matters to them. Care closer to home means you will: 

  • know where to go for health services

  • access services in your local community and in your own home

  • have other organisations involved in delivering your health services

  • have our support to manage your own physical and mental health 

  • you will be at the centre of services that support you 

We are engaging with staff and partners to talk through ideas about the design of the community services of the future. 

Our role in supporting carers                         
A carer is anyone who cares, unpaid, for a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction cannot cope without their support. There are at lest 370,000 carers in Wales, which save the Welsh economy £8.1bn every year.  More information is available here

What matters to you

We are building on the views that you have shared about what matters most regarding your health and what you think about our services. What you told us and tell us now will help shape our plan about how we deliver care for the next ten years and beyond.

 

 


Write to us:  Living Healthier, Staying Well, Block 5, Carlton Court, St Asaph Business Park LL17 0JG